Ten Commandments of Stretching
Timeless Fitness Tip
Stretching feels so good! Stretching also keeps your body flexible so it will do what you want, when you want. Save stretching for after your workout; it increases blood flow post-exercise, which helps muscles recover faster and prevents soreness. Stretch after both strength and endurance exercises.
- Follow a program specific to your activities and needs.
- Stretch regularly, at least three times a week.
- Warm up before stretching with light aerobic moves.
- Stretch only to the point of tension in the belly of the muscle, not pain in the joint.
- Hold each stretch for 15 to 60 seconds.
- Do each stretch two to four times.
- Stay relaxed.
- Breath throughout the stretch.
- Progress in a slow, controlled manner.
- Do not bounce.
See also: Health Essential: Stretching
Disclaimer: The material on this Web site is not intended to replace advice from your doctor or fitness professional. Please consult with your physician before beginning any fitness program or fat or weight reduction program. FitnessandFreebies.com takes no responsibility for individual results, or any claim made by a third party.