Cancer Preventing Super Foods
Today, heart disease kills most of us, however, we seem to dread cancer more. After billions of dollars in research it appears that the quotes below, credited to two famous men, were truly prophetic.
"Let your food be your medicine"- Hippocrates
"The doctor of the future' will interest his patients in diet, care of the human frame, and in the prevention of disease." -Thomas Edison
The National Cancer Institute is currently investigating the following foods, specifically those at the top of the pyramid, to further clarify the biological effect of these foods on health and cancer prevention.
- Soy, Carrots, Celery, and Parsnips
- Onions, Green Tea, Tumeric, Citrus
- Whole Wheat, Flax Seed, and Brown Rice
- Tomato, Egg Plant and Peppers (the Solanacea).
- Broccoli, Cauliflower, and Brussel Spouts (the Cruciferae).
- Oats, Mints, Oregano, Cucumber, Rosemary, Sage, and Potato.
- Thyme, Chives, Cantaloupe, Basil, Tarragon, Barley and all the Berries
Note: *Foods are ranked in order of importance from top to bottom.
These plants are rich in phytochemicals. There may be over 10,000 different phytochemicals that have biological activity in humans. So although taking an iron free mega-multivitamin/mineral and extra antioxidants is part of good anti-aging and longevity strategy, there is NO substitute for including a generous amount of a variety of the above Super Foods in our diets.