Physical Activity: The Bottom Line
Timeless Fitness Tip
Should you choose fitness-oriented exercise over physical activity? That depends!
On the whole, considering all health benefits, fitness exercise is slightly better. If you like vigorous exercise, or if you are limited in the amount of time for exercise, fitness exercise may be your choice. If not, then walking the golf course, gardening, or cleaning out the garage will give you all the health benefits you need.
The important point is to participate on a regular basis. The choice to be active rather than sedentary will greatly reduce the risk of heart disease, diabetes, and other chronic diseases.
Simple Physical Activity Ideas:
- Take the stairs as often as possible
- Drink plenty of water
- Park as far from the front door as possible - at stores, etc.
- Clean your home regularily
- Garden or do yard work (even if you rent; go pull some weeds!)
- Buy a Omron HJ-320 Tri-Axis Pedometer and keep track of your steps each day
- If you are able, use a bicycle to go short distances - visit a friend, go to a park, etc.
- How about giving up cable for an entire summer? You'll be amazed at how much free time you have for all these wonderful activities!
Next tip will be recommendations for anyone begining an exercise program or planning to do so. (See Just Move!)
You may also like...
- Exercise: Guidelines to Getting Started
- Basic Exercise Guide for the Healthy Adult
- A Beginner's Full Body Workout
Disclaimer: The material on this Web site is not intended to replace advice from your doctor or fitness professional. Please consult with your physician before beginning any fitness program or fat or weight reduction program. FitnessandFreebies.com takes no responsibility for individual results, or any claim made by a third party.